Thursday, January 4, 2018

Book Review: Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Mongtomery

Anne of Green GablesThis is the start of a new favorite series, and I can't believe I never read this before now! I would've loved this as a kid and enjoyed re-reading it as an adult. Thank you to my book club for choosing to read this for January discussion. This is one of the few books I've managed to finish in time for the discussion (the horror, I know!) and also finish in 2 days! Considering I have a few books that I've been on my currently reading shelf for more than a couple years, it's astonishing I've been able to finish a book this quickly.

I am thankful to L.M. Montgomery for writing something that has inspired me to keep reading, and wish I could thank her. I was in such a reading slump trying to find something I could get lost in and this was it!

Ms. Montgomery did an amazing job developing characters with personality, especially Anne. She may have had her quirks, but she was also so lovable because of them! I enjoyed "watching" her grow up and develop her own interests and dreams as if she were a dear friend. There were times I literally rolled my eyes at Anne being so imaginative and especially dramatic when Marilla would try to scold her into behaving. I love Marilla's tough love, and Matthew's quiet and soft demeanor, yet hardened by years on a farm. Anne managed to win her way into their hearts and finally found her forever home. It's a heartwarming, and at times heartbreaking, story that has transcended generations to prove itself worthy of being a classic.

Occasionally, I smiled or laughed at the vocabulary L.M. Montgomery used because a few words are not commonly used in the same context 100 years later (i.e. she ejaculated for she exclaimed!).

My rating is 5 out of 5, and I highly recommend it to anyone who has not read it yet. If I ever have a daughter or niece, I will make sure this is on her read list. And I will most certainly be reading, or listening to, the rest of the series!

Thanks to my book club, Vermont Books N Brews, for this selection!

**
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Genre: Fiction>Children's Fiction and Historical Fiction, Classics, Young Adult
Audiobook, 10 hours, 20 minutes
Released: June 24, 2008 by Penguin Random House Audio
Narrated by: Kate Burton
Dates Listened: January 1-2, 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment