Saturday, December 27, 2008

Paying for College

The life of a college student is stressful. Although I do live at home with my parents and commute to class so I don't have to pay rent or room/board, I still have to pay tuition. On top of working nearly full-time - an average of 32 hours a week, I don't know what to do about making payments on time. I'm struggling to pay tuition, credit card bills which have some tuition and book charges, and I still have to pay my parents back for part of my car insurance. I'm sure I'm not the only who's suffering like this, but the reason it's so stressful and annoying because I've never been in a situation like this before. I should probably get another job so I can work weekends and be guaranteed at least a few hours a week because my current job isn't guaranteed hours. It all depends on how much work there is available, and January is often a slow month so I'll be working more like 15 hours instead of 30. It wouldn't hurt to go back to Giant (regional grocery store) to work a few hours a week there like I was over the summer. The extra $100 a week would definitely help financially even though the drama is overwhelming. A minor inconvenience is also going out of my way to get there and back.

My parents would help me pay for school but my dad is so anal about grades that I have to have B's or better in order for him to help me pay for school, which I think is total bullshit because it's an added layer of stress. I understand the logic of him getting good results or value for his money. On the flip side, I think it's the parents responsibility to help pay if they have the expectation that you get the a college degree as long as the proverbial we are making an obvious effort to do well. I've been in school for 5 years now and I'm ready to give up because it's been so long and I just don't have the money to pay for 2 more semesters. I'm so angry with my dad because of that. Yea, he wants me to do well but just because he doesn't agree with some of the choices my brother and I have made, we have to suffer. Our life and our choices whether he agrees with them or not need to be supported and he needs to realize that so we don't have to suffer anymore.

I may have to take out another student/education loan once I do the necessary research on lenders, where I can budget better, and getting another job or even a paid internship.

No comments:

Post a Comment