Sunday, January 8, 2017

Review: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Great Gatsby
By F. Scott Fitzgerald
Audible Audio version
Dates read: January 1 - 8, 2017

Jake Gyllenhaal did a great job narrating this book, one that I personally would've had difficultly following and enjoying if I had chosen to read rather than listen to on Audible. Having just read A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway, I felt inspired to stick to the time period and read/listen to another classic written by one of his contemporaries.

I wonder if I didn't really get into the story because it was written from the perspective of a character, Nick Carraway, who didn't really understand the situation himself? Maybe that's the point? I mean, he's a young guy from the Midwest who moves to West Egg, NY, fresh out of college and looking to make a name for himself in the bond business. I mean, talk about culture shock, right?

Carraway becomes Gatsby's neighbor, trusted friend, and attends many of his lavish parties during the roaring 20's. He's witness to the love triangle between Gatsy, Daisy - his distant cousin, and her husband Tom who also has a girl in New York. A story that captured the 1922 Prohibition era lifestyle, The Great Gatsby became one of the greatest classics of twentieth-century American literature.

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment