Saturday, April 7, 2018

Review: Undying by Corina Bishop

This sci-fi book is a far cry from my typical genres of historical fiction and personal development so I was a bit skeptical at first, but the synopsis was intriguing enough that I figured it'd be worth a try even if I didn't ultimately enjoy the book.

I received a copy of this Audible Audio book for free from the author in return for a review. This does not affect my opinion in any way.

Synopsis:
To awaken and not know who you are is a crushing feeling. Panic and hysteria override all other senses. Strangers approach and terror builds within your chest. You hope these strangers, with their white lab coats, will bring an ounce of reason back to your jumbled thoughts. Instead they bring needles and knives that puncture your skin, introducing new horrors for your brain to try to comprehend.

This is the life Sentra is born into at the age of twenty-four. She is surrounded by people who only cause her agony and pay no mind to her mounting questions. Sentra cannot even find solace in her dreams, where she is haunted by memories from a woman who died long ago. If the pain and confusion wasn't enough, Sentra's body doesn't seem to be entirely human and her detainers have far greater plans for her in a war she wants no part of.

All Sentra knows for sure is that she wants out and she will do anything to gain her freedom.

My Review:
Since this isn't my usual genre that I gravitate towards, I'm giving this a 3 out of 5 stars. I say that because I had a hard time staying interested in the story-line, yet at the same time, the mystery of the unknown is exactly what kept me listening.

Eventually I did come to like and empathize with the main character instead of being annoyed by her. This is because over time, Sentra learns that she is the only one who remembers life before she woke up in a lab and used as a test subject to go on "missions." This discovery only adds to her fear and confusion, especially since she learns she needs to keep it a secret from the others that she has these memories. To make matters worse, her memories lead her to putting the others in danger during a couple missions and them not trusting her anymore.

This reads like the beginning of a series. The author's bio on Goodreads mentions it's the first book of what she hopes to be a trilogy. I'm curious to know what happens in the next installments!

**
Undying by Corina Bishop
Audible Audio, Unabridged
Narrated by: Laura Jennings
Published Sept. 15, 2017
Dates Read: Jan. 29 - Feb. 27, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment