Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Time Flies - with social media

Everyone knows what "time flies" feels like. There are just not enough hours in the day! Our days have become so monotonous and impersonal, especially with the advent of mobile social media. The younger generations (let's say up to about age 35-40) are so connected all the time that the older folks have no idea how they can have multiple conversations at once.

Let me give you a little insight - As I'm typing this, I'm having 2 conversations via Facebook, checking my Twitter feed, checking my Meebo buddy list to see who else is online, checking my phone out of habit for text messages and also streaming an episode of Heroes: Season 3 on Netflix. I'm even thinking about what to have for lunch, what other companies I should look into for job openings, when I should go to the gym and even switching to streaming Heroes on TV so I have more screen space available on my laptop.

How is it possible that I can do so much at once while I'm seemingly doing nothing? Multitasking. It's what I (and my generation) do best. We're not satisfied until we're 100% connected to our friends on multiple platforms.

Oh, that reminds me, I have to check the 4 email accounts I have - 2 of which are through Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment