Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Review: Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly

Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly
Paperback, 487 pages
Published April 2016 by Ballantine Books
Dates Read: Nov. 22 - Dec. 11, 2017

My book club, Vermont Books n Brews, selected Lilac Girls for our November discussion. Since it's historical fiction, based during the WWII era, the subject matter is right up my alley. The review from Library Journal on the cover reads, "extremely moving and memorable . . . should appeal strongly to [readers of] Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale and Anthony Doerr's All the Light We Cannot See." and this is quite accurate to me considering how much I enjoyed The Nightingale! I am now even more convinced I should read All the Light We Cannot See because of enjoying both of Lilac Girls and The Nightingale.

Now back to the discussion. Of course, I lived up to my reputation and didn't finish the book in time for the discussion, but my book club LOVED Martha Hall Kelly's debut novel. Once I was able to sit down and read it for real, I read it in a week. That's a record for me. I just could not put it down.

Have you ever gotten to the end of a book, closed it and sighed in relief? That happened for me with this book. I felt relief for Kasia that she finally got the closure she so desperately needed about what happened to her mother.

Lilac Girls is based on the real-life story of three women whose lives are forever transformed and connected by horrendous acts during WWII. Caroline Ferriday is a New York socialite, former Broadway actress, and liaison to the French consulate who works to provide aid for French citizens during the war, and eventually for victims of war crimes. Kasia Kuzmerick is a Polish teenager who becomes a courier for the underground resistance movement and ends up in the only women's only concentration camp of the war with her mother and sister. Herta Oberheuser is a young German doctor who answers an ad for a government medical position, thinking it'd be a great experience for her medical career, but is unknowingly getting herself into a position that will have drastic consequences.

For decades, these women manage to endure the impossible pain and heartache of war, and yet still manage to experience the love, redemption, and friendship that comes with the healing powers of the truth.

Martha Hall Kelly eloquently tells the story of these strong, brave women who went through hell and back to survive in a world that eventually forgot about them. A story that seems to get brushed aside amidst the stories of the soldiers who fought the wars.

Kelly did an amazing job with her debut novel. Her 10 years of research and attention to detail are apparent.  Perhaps I enjoyed it even more because I am a sucker for historical fiction, especially that of the WWII era, and with chapters written from different characters perspectives. Regardless of the reason, I am looking forward to Kelly's next two novels, both prequels to Lilac Girls.

Rating: 5 out of 5 - I fell in love with multiple aspects. Highly recommend.

**
Side note 1: Read the Author's Note and interview at the end of the book. Despite always being an avid reader, I rarely read the extras at the end of books such as the Author's Notes, acknowledgements, and interviews once the book ends. For some readers, that may come as a surprise. For others, you're probably thinking "Me too! Why bother?" I always thought it was a waste of time and it'd ruin the story for me. Well, let me tell you, I learned the hard way that I'm missing out! If you're like me and don't read those extras, please read them for Lilac Girls, you won't be sorry.

Side note 2: There are discussion questions in the back of the book. For book club discussion activity ideas and more questions, visit marthahallkelly.com/lilac-girls/for-book-clubs/.

Side note 3: There is a documentary being made about the Rabbits of Ravensbruck. To learn more and follow the story, follow their progress on Facebook and watch this video on YouTube.

2 comments:

  1. I love most World War 2 fiction and this is one of the best. Maybe young folks won't understand or care about history. I'm 72. In my life I've read thousands of books. I used to read a book a day, unless the teacher took it away from me. I loved books. I really liked this one. If you like history and you like to read about people surviving horrible things, this will be good for you.

    Perhaps a young person who has not ever been through any kind of horror won't like it because they won't understand it. I like to see folks surviving stuff that they think they won't. Its good for the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed reading this book for those reasons you listed. It's a very inspirational story, and it's difficult for me to comprehend the atrocities our fellow humans are capable of inflicting. Yet, it's inspiring to learn of those who have endured those atrocities and have survived in light of them.

      Delete