Friday, September 2, 2016

Review: The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

The Art of Racing in the Rain
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
My rating: 5 out of 5

I read this, or rather listened to an audio version, for a book club I found out about from a member I usually see at my usual book club called Vermont Books 'n' Brews. This other one is run out of the Maclure Library in Pittsford, VT. The library itself has so much history that I could write a post just about the building! But that's for another day.

The Art of Racing in the Rain was the perfect book for me to read for the first time with this club because I was immediately drawn in and felt accepted by the dog as the main character. I thoroughly enjoyed how the story was told from the perspective of Enzo. His temperament and character is so well developed that I felt immediately welcomed and at home. We were immediately friends! I couldn't stop listening to the audio version and one day I'll go back and read the book. I have a feeling that I won't be able to put it down and will most likely finish it in one sitting.

Enzo and his owner manage to stay together despite everything that happened over the course of their relationship. Stein did an excellent job of showing how a dog is truly a part of the family and doing it from the dog's perspective. Enzo is shown to be a philosopher, and it's almost to easy to forget that he's not human until we are reminded of his obsession with not having opposable thumbs.
 
This is a truly heart-warming story about what it means to hope, to have unconditional love for another being, loyalty to one's best friend, and the meaning of family.
 
The ending tugged at the heart strings and made me cry, which is significant because I never cry when I read a book, watch a movie or show. Yet, I would've been upset if it had ended any other way. I can't wait to see the movie!